Paying for care: Deferred Payment Agreements

How the agreement ends

You can end the agreement at any time by paying the full amount owed from your personal savings or investments and arranging your own care.

A third party, such as a friend or family member, could also pay your debt for you.

You can also end the agreement by selling the property and paying the full amount owed at any time.

If you sell the property

If you decide to sell the property, you should let us know during the sale process.

You must pay the amount owed for your deferred payment from the money you get from the sale.

We will then end the charge on your property.

If you die while the DPA is in place

If you were to die while the DPA is in place, the agreement would end and the debt would be payable 90 days later.

The amount owed would have to be paid from your estate (usually via the sale of the house or a life assurance policy) or by a third party.

The executor of your will or administrator of your estate can decide how the amount is paid.

Your family, or those dealing with your affairs, may not want to sell your property after your death.

We can still accept payment of the debt by other means, but they must be able to cover the full amount owed.