Paying for care: Deferred Payment Agreements


If you need to move into a care home permanently, the value of your former home may be considered by the Council when they work out how much you should pay for your care after the first 12 weeks of your stay.

Sometimes the value of a person's home is disregarded in this assessment, such as when a partner still lives there or if the stay in a care home is temporary.

If the value of your home is not disregarded and you don't have enough income or savings to pay the full cost of your care, you may have to sell your home so that you can pay these costs or find another way to pay.

A Deferred Payment Agreement (DPA) is one option that allows people to pay for their care without selling their home.

For more information about paying for residential care, what help is available, and whether you will need to enter a Deferred Payment Agreement, please see paying for residential care.