Paying for care: Deferred Payment Agreements

What you need to do during the agreement

For the duration of the DPA, you will need to do the following:

  • Make sure any necessary maintenance is carried out on the property, at your expense
  • Insure the property at your expense
  • Let us know if you decide to sell the property
  • Tell us about any changes to your income, including rental income for the property

What you will need to pay during a deferred payment

You will still need to pay the amount you have been assessed as being able to pay from your income and other savings.

The Council will pay the part of your weekly charge that you can't afford until such time as your property is sold.

You might also decide to pay more from other savings and investments.

A third party, such as a friend or family member could also pay some of your care costs.

Paying extra might be a good option for you, as it would reduce the amount owed to the Council later.