Civil penalties (landlords)
Notice of intent and appeals
Before imposing a civil penalty, the Council must serve a notice of intent.
The notice of intent must be served:
- no later than 6 months after the Council has sufficient evidence, or
- at any time when the offending conduct is continuing.
The notice must set out:
- the amount of the fine
- the reason for imposing the fine
- information on the right to appeal
Appealing a notice of intent
If you are served a notice of intent, you can appeal within 28 days from the date the notice was served.
The Council must decide whether to:
- confirm the notice
- increase or reduce the fine, or
- withdraw the notice.
The Council can withdraw or change a notice of intent at any time.
We will write to you to inform you of any changes.