Civil penalties (landlords)
How decisions are made
Cases will be decided on an individual basis, depending on the circumstances of each case.
When deciding whether to prosecute or issue a civil penalty, and how much the fine should be, the Council will look at the following guidance:
See GOV.UK: Civil penalties under the Housing and Planning Act 2016
The Council will consider:
- the severity of the offence
- the culpability and track record of the offender
- harm caused to the tenant
- punishment of the offender
- how to deter the offender from repeating the offence
- how to deter others from committing similar offences
- how to remove any financial benefit the offender may have as a result of committing the offence.
The Council's civil penalties enforcement policy
See the civil penalties enforcement policy
The policy has guiding principles so decisions are consistent, transparent, and fair.