South Shields Town Hall (Customer Service Centre)
Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm.
To get in touch with the Customer Service Centre see, contact us.
When visiting a Council building, we would encourage you to:
- wear a face covering (unless exempt)
- follow any signage that is in place
- follow the 2 metre social distancing guidance
- use the hand sanitiser dispensers when entering and exiting the building
The one-stop centre in South Shields Town Hall offers access to a wide range of services, including:
- Area planning
- Asset management
- Building control
- Council Tax
- Crisis Loans and Community Care grants (from Welfare Support)
- Electoral registration
- Environmental health
- Housing benefit
- Housing estate management
- Housing tenancy management
- Housing Your Choice lettings
- Housing advice and repairs
- Legal Services
- NNDR (business rates)
- Payment kiosks
- Planning and housing futures
- Road safety
- Self-service machines
- Trading standards and licensing
- Support with Universal Credit claims
From Durham and the South (A1 Northbound)
- Head north on A1(M) and then turn off onto A194 (M) - signposted South Shields.
- At White Mare Pool Roundabout, take the second exit onto A194, heading towards South Shields.
- Follow the A194 into South Shields and then follow signs for the town centre. The Town Hall is ahead.
From Teesside (A19 Northbound)
- Head north on A19 and take slip road for A194 - signposted South Shields.
- At roundabout take the third exit onto A194 (Leam Lane/ Newcastle Road) towards South Shields.
- Continue on A194 into South Shields and follow signs for the town centre. The Town Hall is ahead.
From Tyne Tunnel (A19 Southbound)
- Follow A19 southbound and go through the Tyne Tunnel.
- At the roundabout (after the Tyne Tunnel) take the second exit onto A185 signposted
- At the next roundabout, take the first exit onto A194 (Jarrow Road).
- Continue on A194 (into South Shields) and follow signs for the town centre. The Town Hall is ahead.
From Gateshead and the West (A184)
- Continue on A184 (felling bypass) and turn onto A194 signposted South Shields.
- Continue to take A194 into South Shields and then follow signs for the town centre. The Town Hall is immediately ahead.
From Sunderland (A1018)
- From Sunderland head northbound on A1018 (Newcastle Road).
- At the roundabout, take the third exit onto A1018 (Shields Road).
- Continue to follow A1018 into South Shields. Follow signs for town centre. The Town Hall is on the right.
The Metro provides a fast and frequent service in and around Tyne and Wear.
The Town Hall is a 10 minute walk from South Shields Metro Station, which is located within South Shields Transport Interchange.
The main bus station for South Shields is located at South Shields Transport Interchange.
This bus station serves routes to Gateshead, Newcastle and Sunderland with many buses stopping outside the Town Hall.
Stagecoach and Go North East bus operators serve the borough and sell discounted return tickets.