Hebburn Renewable Energy Scheme

How to provide feedback

If you have any questions about the works:

Provide feedback on immediate issues

If you have any immediate issues and would like to make an informal complaint, please email hebburnminewater@southtyneside.gov.uk or contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0191 427 7000.

The South Tyneside Council project team will respond to your email and check to see if your issue can be resolved immediately.

Making a formal complaint

To make a formal complaint, either: