Report fly tipping

Hiring a waste contractor or company to remove your waste

If you hire a waste contractor or company to remove your waste, you must make sure they are operating legally.

You must always check that they are registered. Visit Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers.

You should always ask to see the original copy of their waste carrier's licence.

Registered waste carriers need to provide you with official paperwork that confirms they have got your waste and where it is being taken to. This is called a 'waste transfer note'.

They can be fined up to £5,000 plus other costs for not showing either copies when requested by the Council.

Do not use a contractor that won't show you a waste carrier's licence or who won't provide you with a waste transfer note.

What to look out for when arranging for your waste to be collected

You can be prosecuted and fined if someone else illegally disposes of your waste for you.

This can include:

  • a company that provides you with a skip to take waste away
  • a joiner or a builder doing work at your property

When arranging for someone to collect waste from your home:

  • Beware of rogue waste carriers. Reputable companies don't usually make direct approaches. If in any doubt, do not allow them to take your waste.
  • Ask for their waste carrier registration details, and verify them either by checking the online register, or by calling 03708 506 506. Note down the registration number of the vehicle used to take your waste away, just in case.
  • Refuse unwelcome offers to have any rubbish taken away. Always carry out your own research and choose who you wish to approach.
  • Always ask what exactly is going to happen to your rubbish, and get evidence that it is going to be disposed of correctly. A legitimate, professional waste carrier who wants your business should not object to being asked reasonable questions.
  • Make sure you get a proper receipt which has the written information for your waste. This should include what has been removed and where it will be going. Make sure the company or tradesperson's details are included.