Report a concern about a child (safeguarding and abuse)

How to report a concern

If you have concerns that a child is at risk of either being harmed or abused then you must report it.

To do nothing is the worst thing you can do.

See what is abuse.

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

If you are suspicious or have any concerns that a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, call Children and Families Social Care on:

  • 0191 424 5010
    Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm
    Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm
  • 0191 456 2093
    Outside of the above time

For more information and advice free phone the NSPCC 0808 800 5000.

If you are a professional, you can refer your concerns using the Multi-Agency Referral Form.