South Shields Marine School
South Shields Marine School has specialised in world-class maritime education and training since 1861.
South Shields Marine School has specialised in world-class maritime education and training since 1861 and are a recent Queen's Award winner.
They have transformed the delivery of education in this industry with state-of-the-art facilities, industry expert lecturers and specialist programmes.
The one year Pre-Cadetship programme covers both navigation and engineering, allowing you to experience what a maritime career is like in both areas.
Once completed, you will have the opportunity to progress on to a funded sponsorship with a shipping company, where you'll be able to travel the world while being paid for it.
A career at sea provides fantastic opportunities in an exciting sector where no two days are the same.
- learn key skills
- make friends
- build your confidence
- have the opportunity to navigate and steer a ship in the multi-million-pound Simulation Centre
- manage critical controls in the engine rooms
- get a feel for what a career at sea is about
Level 2 Pre-Cadetship Engineering, you will need:
- 4 GCSEs Grade 3/D (including Maths, English and a science)
Level 3 Pre-Cadetship Engineering, you will need either:
- Level 2 Pre-Cadetship (Level 2 Diploma in Engineering)
- 4 GCSEs grades 4 or above (including Maths, English and a Science)
Level 3 Pre-Cadetship Deck, you will need:
- 4 GCSEs Grade 4/C (including Maths, English and a science)
For more information or would like a more in depth one-to-one discussion, please get in touch with the Marine Department on 0191 427 3517.