EU transition

What the Council is doing and the governments guidance around the EU transition


  1. Government toolkit
  2. EU citizens
  3. What the Council is doing
  4. Schools
  5. Businesses

Government toolkit

The government has created a toolkit for the EU transition:

GOV.UK: EU transition

There is information on the government website for: 

For all information, visit GOV.UK: EU transition.

EU citizens

The Government has advised EU citizens to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). 

If you are an EU or Swiss national, you can apply for settled status as an EU citizen who wishes to continue to work in the UK.

GOV.UK: EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

What the Council is doing

We are working closely with all of our partners to assess what impacts there could be upon our residents and the wider community. Where possible we are taking steps to minimise these as much as possible.

We have continued to work closely with both local and regional partners to coordinate our plans.

Our aim is to make sure that we seek to minimise impacts to our residents and businesses from the changes arising from the national exit plan, and that local businesses can continue to prosper following the exit, by taking advantage of new opportunities that may arise.


Government guidance for schools: 

GOV.UK: The schools sector and the EU


Things to think about for your business: 

  • Check procedures for exporting your goods worldwide - GOV.UK: Export goods from the UK
  • If you travel to the EU for work purposes you will need to check if you need a visa or work permit and apply if necessary
  • You need to have a sponsor licence to hire workers from outside the UK - GOV.UK: Recruiting people from outside the UK
  • If you are a UK business or organisation that receives personal data from contacts in the EEA, you may need to take extra steps to make sure that the data can continue to flow legally
  • If you provide services in the EU, you must make sure that your qualifications are now recognised by EU regulations to be able to practice or service clients in the EU

Get a personalised summary of the actions you need to take for your business, by using the simple tool at GOV.UK: EU transition.

GOV.UK: New and updated guidance for businesses regarding the end of the EU Transition Period (19 November 2020)

Trading rules

How you can stay up to date on the new trading rules: 

  • Complete a short survey to get a personalised list of actions for you and your business, at GOV.UK: EU transition

If you have any questions and you can't find answers at GOV.UK: EU transition, you can fill out an enquiry form and an expert adviser will provide support: Department for International Trade enquiry form.

For information and advice about trading internationally (outside of the EU) visit Department for International Trade.

There will be some differences between the rules for those businesses trading in Great Britain and those trading in Northern Ireland. The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) is producing separate but complementary guidance to help businesses navigate what is expected of them. Visit GOV.UK: UK product safety and metrology.

Advice for hauliers

Information and advice sites are open across the UK. See GOV.UK: Haulier advice site locations

Guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers has also been published. This provides key information and advice on customs procedures, clearly setting out how hauliers can prepare themselves, their vehicles and their goods to continue travelling smoothly across the GB-EU border and help minimise disruption. This is also available 13 different languages. See GOV.UK: Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU: guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers.