Websites and apps that can provide fun and educational activities for children at home.
There are a number of websites and apps that can provide fun and educational activities for children at home.
This list was originally devised to help with lockdowns during the pandemic, but can still be enjoyed now.
See below for a list of websites and apps to support with learning different key stage subjects including maths, science and literacy:
- TopMarks - learn online, through safe, fun and engaging games and activities
- Dragon Box app - app for maths based games
- White rose maths - maths lessons for each year group from Year 1-8
- Time Table Rockstars - website with daily times tables practice
- Cbeebies - Numberblocks - helps young children learn about numbers
- Prodigy - maths app
- ICT Games - literacy and maths games
- Literacy Trust - encouraging children to read whilst learning at home
- Literacy shed plus free literacy based resources
- Explorify - has engaging and creative science activities
- Duolingo - fun, entertaining, and efficient to learn a new language right on your phone
- Bee Bot - app for computing
- BBC Bitesize - information and activities on all key stage subjects
- ICT in Schools - they have a dedicated area on their website called Learning@Home which has links to resources and support for parents, students and staff at all key stages
Mindfulness and keeping active
See below for a list of websites and apps to support with mindfulness and keeping active:
- Smiling Mind app - short audio sessions to help with mindfulness
- Cosmic Yoga on YouTube - Yoga videos for children aged 3 and over
- BBC Supermovers - videos to support with KS1, KS1 maths, literacy, PSHE and PE learning
- Go Noodle on YouTube - hundreds of 'brainercise', dancing, strength and mindfulness videos
- Premier League Stars - videos and activities to support maths, literacy, PSHE and PE
- Newsround - keeping children up to date with the world around them and creating opportunities to talk about news with children
- YouTube: The Body Coach - Free home workouts with Joe Wicks
School subscription services
See below for a list of school subscription services that provide guidance and resources.
- Twinkl - worksheets, powerpoints and interactive games to support all areas of learning
- Classroom Secrets - maths and reading home learning packages
- Master the Curriculum - maths subscription service which offers a free membership option
- Primary Stars - key stage one maths home learning packages
- Some of the UK's best museums and galleries have online exhibitions and virtual tours, including:
- CBBC - has lots of TV shows, games, quizzes, and puzzles
- Frugal Fun 4 Boys: Lego Scavenger Hunt - a fun way to develop and work together on reading, inference, deduction and problem solving skills
During the pandemic we produced a number of singing and musical instrument videos and highlighted some music based activities that could be enjoyed. These can still be viewed at: music videos and resources.