Information for professionals - Domestic abuse

Legal Aid

Legal aid can help meet the cost of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court of tribunal. It might be available if a person or their family have been victims of domestic violence or abuse and can't afford to pay legal costs.

Evidence that they were at risk of harm can be sought from a range of places, including:

  • The courts
  • The multi-agency risk assessment conference (MARAC)
  • Social services
  • A health professional: e.g. a doctor, nurse, midwife, psychologist or health visitor
  • A refuge manager
  • A domestic violence support service

Further information can be found at Legal Aid.

A specialist family solicitor will be able to advise victims about the availability of legal aid and how to access it.

The Law Society offers a free online 'Find a Solicitor' service which can help to find organisations or legal services by Legal Issue and Location.

Alternatively, you can search for local family lawyers on the resolution website.