Why you must microchip your dog
It is compulsory throughout the UK for all dog owners to have their dogs microchipped.
The dog owner's contact details are logged on a central database so if a dog is found, it can be scanned and returned to the owner.
As a dog owner, you must make sure your dog is chipped and that your details are kept up-to-date on the database if your circumstances change.
Benefits of microchipping your dog include:
- Allows for quicker return of lost dogs to owners
- Puppies are traceable to their breeder, which reduces the problem of puppy farming and lessening the chance of infectious diseases and inherited defects
- Helps to prevent dog theft
- Easier identification of owners guilty of animal cruelty
- Helps vets contact owners for emergency procedures