Organising a road closure or diversion


  1. Closures and diversions (Traffic Regulation Order)
  2. Demonstrations
  3. Current roadworks
  4. Changes to traffic and parking restrictions

Closures and diversions (Traffic Regulation Order)

Occasionally, works on or near the highway may need the highway to be either closed or diverted.

Such closures require a Traffic Regulation Order which is arranged by the Council.

There are different types of Order for varying situations and these can have varying time-scales applied to them before they can be initiated.

The costs involved with making the Order as well as that for any necessary signing is met by the person or organisation requesting the Order.

For requests and more information, call Traffic Services on 0191 427 7000.

Events and parades

When special events require the road to be closed off to general traffic, a temporary road closure will be required.

The Council can organise the necessary Traffic Regulation Order, however all costs involved for the closure and diversion signing would be borne by the event organiser.

Because of the legal procedure and timescales involved, which must be adhered to, please make the initial contact as soon as possible.

If you need a road closure, contact Traffic Services on 0191 427 7000.


Demonstrations can not be dealt with by the Council and for these events Northumbria Police must be contacted so that they can make the appropriate arrangements.

Current roadworks

See Roadworks and road closures.

Changes to traffic and parking restrictions 

For details of permanent changes to traffic and parking restrictions, see Traffic and parking restriction consultations.