South Shields regeneration: South Shields Town Centre
Regeneration is continuing in South Shields Town Centre.
Opening The Word and making improvements to the Transport Interchange were major successes which have changed the face of South Shields, but increasing footfall is paramount.
We have developed a Masterplan Vision setting out a framework for the future of the town centre over the next 10 years.
This will provide interventions and generate confidence for others to invest.
It seeks to deliver a vibrant, attractive, and healthy town with a secure and sustainable future. A place where people want to live, work, study and socialise.
The vision was developed following extensive consultation with residents, traders and visitors.
The Masterplan Vision
The Masterplan Vision is a blueprint for the delivery of infrastructure and development.
It allows the council, partner organisations, landowners, investors and developers to work together to bring about further meaningful change.
Five sub areas have been identified within South Shields Town Centre as opportunity areas for regeneration.
For full details see, South Shields Town Centre Masterplan Vision.
The completion of phase one and two of the South Shields regeneration scheme includes:
- The Word, National Centre for the Written Word - Recognised as a cultural venue of regional and national significance.
- A renovated and remodelled Market Place, including public art installation celebrating South Tyneside's maritime connections with the rest of the world.
- South Shields Transport Interchange making bus and Metro connectivity around and beyond the borough easier for residents and visitors.
- New bus routes through the town centre creating the space for a new College and Marine School.
- Site assembly for future developments with demolition work ongoing.
- Construction of a new riverside park at Harton Quays.
- Investment in Ocean Road highways and public realm.