Paying for care: Resources and useful contacts


  1. Overview
  2. Independent advice
  3. Legal advice
  4. Useful contacts


It might be helpful to get independent financial advice if you are unsure about paying for care and support. Some services give free advice, and others will ask you to pay.

Independent advice

  • Money Advice Service
    Free advice about paying for care from the Money Advice Service. Visit their website or call 0800 138 7777 for more information.
  • Age UK: Money Matters
    Free, useful information about managing your money, help with benefit, avoiding scams and more.
  • The Citizens Advice Bureau
    Free, confidential advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem. 
  • Paying for Care
    Free, expert advice about care arrangements from specialist advisors.

Legal advice

  • Age UK: Power of Attorney
    Power of Attorney allows someone to make decisions for you, or act on your behalf, if you're no longer able to or if you no longer want to make your own decisions. For more information, visit their website. 

Useful Contacts

  • Let's Talk team (South Tyneside Council)
    The Let's Talk team make sure that everyone has access to information and advice which supports their wellbeing. This includes online information and telephone advice supported by trained Adult Social Care Advisors.
  • Financial Assessments Team
    Contact the Financial Assessments Team for more information about financial assessments and paying for care and support. Call 0191 424 4516 / 0191 424 4517 / 0191 424 4523.
  • Welfare Support Service
    Free, impartial and confidential money advice in South Tyneside. Its advisors can support you to understand and deal with debt, benefits and managing your money.
  • Age Concern Tyneside South (ACTS)
    Helping older people improve their wellbeing for healthier and happier ageing. They also offer advice about benefits, health and social care, and financial planning.
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
    Jobcentre Plus - 0800 169 0310
    Pension Service - 0800 731 0469
    Attendance Allowance - 0800 731 0122
    Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - 0800 121 4600
    Personal Independence Payments (PIP) - 0800 121 4433
  • Care Quality Commission
    Providing advice about finding and choosing care services. You can also discuss any concerns about the quality of a care service with them by calling 03000 616161 or emailing