Cycle paths and lanes throughout the area.
- Plan a journey
- South Tyneside cycling (and walking) maps
- National Cycle Network routes
- Dr Bike sessions
- Simonside Outdoor Adventure cycling sessions
- Report damage to cycle paths or parking
- Healthier Metro Neighbourhoods Scheme
- Request new cycle paths or parking
- Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan
South Tyneside is an excellent place to explore on bicycle.
We have dedicated cycle paths and lanes throughout the area, including along the coast.
To plan a cycling route in the North East, use the Go Smarter journey planner.
The journey planner calculates the best route for cycling, as well as walking, public transport or car.
The South Tyneside cycling (and walking) maps cover the whole of South Tyneside.
The maps also show where there is dedicated cycle parking.
Download a PDF version of the maps:
- Tyne and Wear Cycle Map (south of the Borough, parts of Sunderland and Gateshead)
- Tyne and Wear Cycle Map (northern parts of the Borough, and north of the river)
Hard copies are in stock and can be ordered by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Cycle Network routes in South Tyneside include:
- Souter Lighthouse to St Mary's Lighthouse
- Three rivers (Middlesborough to South Shields)
- Harian's Cycleway (Cumbria to South Shields)
- Route 1 (Dover to the Shetland Islands)
- Route 14 (Darlington to South Shields)
- Route 72 (Kendal to South Shields)
For a full map of National Cycle Network routes, visit Sustrans: National Cycle Network map.
We host regular drop-in events where you can check the safety of your bike.
Simonside Outdoor Adventure are hosting a series of cycle rides throughout 2023 and 2024.
For more information on dates and how to book, see Simonside Outdoor Adventure cycling sessions.
To report damage to cycle paths or cycle parking facilities in South Tyneside, email email@example.com.
Include as much detail as possible in your email.
A series of improvements are taking place to encourage walking and cycling near to some of the area's metro stations.
To request a new cycle lane, path or cycle parking facilities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will assess all reasonable requests, and may include requests in plans for future development.