Council Tax Support


  1. Overview
  2. Financial support
  3. Who can apply
  4. How much you will get
  5. How to apply
  6. When and how it will be paid
  7. View your account online
  8. Second Adult Rebate (living with an adult who isn't your partner)
  9. Changes in your circumstances or address
  10. Appeal a decision
  11. Help when coming off benefits (extended payments)
  12. If you have been overpaid
  13. Housing Benefit

Changes to the Council Tax support scheme

We will be introducing a new Council Tax support scheme which aims to target support more effectively and make things fairer.

The changes include:

  • A new banded scheme with 4 groups
  • Within each group, there are 5 income bands based on income levels and percentage of support
  • The amount you are paid will depend on what income band you fall into
  • Customers who are on the lowest incomes and get passported benefits (Income Support, income based Job Seekers Allowance and income based Employment Support Allowance) will get the highest level of support

For more information about the new scheme, see South Tyneside Council - Council Tax reduction scheme.


Council Tax Support (also called Council Tax Reduction) is a benefit, which helps you pay your Council Tax.

Financial support 

All working age households who receive Council Tax Support will benefit from up to £125 hardship relief against their 2023 / 2024 Council Tax bill.

See Council Tax Support hardship relief.

Who can apply

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if:

  • you are on a low income, or
  • you share your home with someone who isn't your partner, see Second Adult Rebate

You need to:

  • be aged 18 or over
  • have to pay Council Tax on your home

Anyone who pays Council Tax can claim Council Tax Support:

  • You can claim Council Tax Support even if you are working
  • You do not have to be receiving any other benefits
  • You can claim Council Tax Support if you already get a discount on your Council Tax, for example, if you live alone
  • You don't need to have paid any national insurance contributions

You can live in a:

  • Council property
  • Privately rented or housing association accommodation
  • Property you are buying or have already bought

How much you will get

The amount of Council Tax Support you will get depends on:

  • The money that you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and things like occupational pensions
  • The savings that you and your partner may have
  • Your circumstances, such as your age, the size of family, the ages of your children, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether there is anyone who lives with you who could help with the rent 

If you or a member of your family is disabled, or if you are paying for your child to be looked after while you're at work, you may be eligible for extra Council Tax Support

If you are at State Pension Age, the level of Council Tax Support you get is set by the government, rather than by the Council. You still apply in the same way.

To calculate an estimate of how much you will get, use the benefits calculator.

The funding provided by Central Government to South Tyneside Council, in respect of Council Tax Support has reduced year on year since 2013 when local support schemes were introduced.

Nevertheless, the local scheme adopted by South Tyneside Council continues to protect the most vulnerable residents in our Borough. 

The amount of Council Tax Support for 2023 / 2024 will not be reduced by more than 15% of the previous national Council Tax Benefit Scheme, for residents in receipt of disability benefit and low income families with children under five, and not more than 30% for all other groups except those of pensionable age.

How to apply for Council Tax Support

Scheduled update - Fri 1 to Mon 4 March

We will be carrying out an essential update to Council Tax and Benefits online services at 12pm on Friday 1 until Monday 4 March .

Council Tax and Benefits forms will be unavailable during this time.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

If you think you are eligible, make sure you apply straight away or you might lose out on benefit.

It's important to answer all the questions fully and provide as much information as you can.

You can apply online:

Claim Council Tax Support online

To process your claim for Council Tax Support we will need to see proof of:

  • identity for both you and your partner
  • national insurance number for you and your partner
  • all income for you and your partner
  • capital for both you and your partner

We always need to see original documents. Copies will not be accepted.

Proofs can be uploaded online, or sent by post. Any documents posted to the Council will be returned by second-class post. The Benefits Service will not accept responsibility for the loss of any documents sent by post.

Council Tax Support will not be paid until all the required information is provided. 

When and how it will be paid

We can only pay Council Tax Support from the Monday after we receive your application form.

Your Council Tax Support will be taken straight off your Council Tax bill. We will send you a new Council Tax bill.  

If you are of working age and claim other benefits, you may be able to get your Council Tax Support backdated by up to one month.

View your account online

Log in to your Council Tax Support account to:

  • view your Council Tax Support claim online
  • view next and previous payments
  • sign up to receive notifications by email (e-notifications)

Log in to view Council Tax Support online

Second Adult Rebate (living with an adult who isn't your partner)

If you share your home with someone who isn't your partner, you may qualify for Second Adult Rebate.

Changes in your circumstances or address

If you get Council Tax Support, by law you need to tell us if your circumstances change.

To find out what changes you need to tell us about, and how to tell us, see changes in circumstances or address.

Appeal a decision

Find out what to do if you think your benefit is wrong, and how to appeal a decision.

Help when coming off benefits (extended payments)

It is sometimes possible to stay on full Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit, for an extra four weeks after you come off income support, Jobseeker's Allowance (income based), incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance or employment and support allowance. This is called extended payments.

If you have been overpaid

What to do if you have been paid too much Council Tax Support.

Housing Benefit

If you live in rented accommodation you may also be entitled to Housing Benefit.