Report a concern about an adult (safeguarding and abuse)

What happens next

  1. Someone will speak to you about the situation, and work with you or the person you are worried about to decide the best course of action and who might need to be involved. 
  2. You will be asked to explain the practical help you think you may need to make you safer and what else you might like to happen as a result of reporting your concerns. The local authority will make sure that your wishes are taken into account and work with you to try to get the outcomes you want.
  3. You should always hear back from the local authority if you report a concern, if you do not receive any feedback, you should contact 0191 424 6000 (please note however that confidential information cannot be shared).

Getting help during the safeguarding process (advocacy)

If a person has care and support needs and has substantial difficulty being involved in a safeguarding process, we will try to find an appropriate individual to support them.

If this is not possible, an independent advocate can be appointed to support and represent the person if necessary.

Find out about entitlement to advocacy under the Care Act.