Readhead Park

Address: Sunderland Road, South Shields, NE34 6HR
Telephone number: 0191 427 7000


  • Bowling green
  • Pavilion
  • Play area
  • Tennis courts


The park was given to the town by Robert Readhead (1843 to 1922) in 1921.

Robert Readhead was born in South Shields in 1843. He was the eldest son of Alderman John Readhead, founder of the firm of John Readhead and Sons Limited, who were shipbuilders, engineers, and graving dock owners.

Robert served his apprenticeship under his father, then he became head of the engineering department and one of the directors.

In 1909 he retired from active participation in the business, and devoted his energies more exclusively to public work.

For more than forty years he served on various local bodies, and was Mayor for four years. He was also a borough and county magistrate, and a River Tyne Commissioner from 1897.

Robert died at home in Westoe, South Shields, on 24 July 1922, in his seventy-ninth year.

Get involved

The Friends of Readhead Park meet regularly to help with general park maintenance and projects.

For more information please visit their Facebook page: Friends of Readhead Park.