Financial help with housing
- Housing Benefit
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Local Housing Allowance (LHA)
- Financial support during winter
- Government affordable home ownership scheme
- Help and advice
You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you're on a low income. For information, see Housing Benefit.
To find out more and to apply see Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP).
LHA is help with the cost of rent and affects private tenants. See Housing Benefit for private tenants (Local Housing Allowance).
For information about cold weather payments, winter fuel allowance and the warm homes discount, see financial support during winter.
For information about Help to Buy schemes and more, see GOV.UK: Affordable home ownership schemes
The South Tyneside Homes Homefinder Service can help with:
- general housing and application advice
- assistance for people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness
- mutual exchange
- dedicated Young Persons Advisor
- advice and guidance on private rentals
- and more
Unfortunately, due to a lack of funding there is currently no financial help available from the Council for property repairs, first time buyers or empty homes.