Party Wall Act

The Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party structures.

It applies to:

  • Work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • Building a free standing wall or a wall of a building up to or astride the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • Excavating near a neighbouring building (within 6m if deep foundations)

A party structure can be a wall or floor that divides two properties in different ownerships.

The act is not administered or enforced by the Council. You may need to seek private, professional advice from a specialist Party Wall surveyor.

If a dispute cannot be avoided, the matter can ultimately only be resolved by Civil Action being taken.

The most recent Government guidance is available at GOV.UK: Party Wall Act Guide.