The provisions of Part B of the building regulations deal with different aspects of fire safety with the following aims:
- Ensure the satisfactory provision of means of giving alarm of fire and achieving a satisfactory standard of means of escape for the occupants in event of fire.
- Limiting the spread of fire over internal surfaces in the building.
- Ensuring the stability of buildings in the event of fire. Ensuring the satisfactory standard of fire separation within buildings and between adjoining buildings. Inhibiting the unseen spread of fire in concealed spaces in buildings.
- Ensuring that external walls / roofs have adequate resistance to spread of fire over the external building surfaces.
- Ensuring a satisfactory provision for access for fire appliances to buildings together with the provision of facilities in buildings to assist fire-fighters in saving lives.