Choosing a builder
The following points are often telltale signs of the sort of builder you would not wish to use on a project. You will often find the following are not properly dealt with:
- Not registered for charging and paying VAT
- Not offer properly written quotations
- Not have an office address or headed notepaper
- Not be able to offer good references
- Not carry third party insurance
- Not want to sign any sort of contract but liable to wish being paid in cash before the project commences
- Not employ properly trained labour
- Not provide the standard of workmanship expected
- Not provide an address in the event of complaints
- Not comply with health and safety regulations
Beware if you choose to use a builder that falls within any or the majority of the above categories you are likely to end up with a more costly yet lower quality job.
Do not necessarily go for the cheapest quote, always check builder credentials.
South Tyneside operates a Safetrader scheme and some builders may be registered on this scheme. See .