Projects that need approval

Heating and electrics

Replacing a central heating boiler and / or hot water system

You need approval to replace a central heating boiler and / or hot water system, however, some registered installers may be able to 'self-certify' that their work complies with the Building Regulations. Boilers require Commissioning Certificates.

Guidance is available in the new Approved Documents for Part L1 and L2. See Conservation of fuel and power: Approved Document L

Installing a gas, solid fuel, wood or multi-fuel burning appliance

You will need approval to carry out these works unless the work is done by an installer who is registered with a government approved 'Competent Persons Scheme' and the work is certified under such a scheme.

If this is not the case, you will need to submit a Building Notice application, including manufacturers details for the appliance, chimney / flue details, room ventilation details, proximity of combustible materials, etc.

For solid fuel / wood / multi-fuel burning appliances, an existing flue must be tested, and spillage and flue smoke tests must be carried out, by a member of a suitable trade association. A carbon monoxide detector will also be required adjacent to the appliance.

Additionally, you should bear in mind that almost all of South Tyneside is covered by smoke control orders that prohibit the emission of smoke from chimneys, other than in certain specific circumstances.

You should establish whether the appliance is suitable for use in a Smoke Control Area, and the supplier should be able to provide that information.

Some appliances are exempt (because they minimise smoke emissions) and some fuels are approved for use. For more information see:

Guidance on smoke control areas

Installing or replacing electric wiring

You need approval to replace electric wiring in domestic properties.

Part P Electrical Safety was introduced in 2005 and mainly applies to dwelling houses, and flats, including their gardens and outbuildings such as sheds, garages and greenhouses, it even covers garden pond pumps. 

Small installations such as extra sockets or lights on an existing circuit do not need to be notified to Building Control, although there are some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.

For further information see the guide to extending your home.

There are two routes available to show compliance with the Building Regulations:

  1. Use an electrician or installer who is a competent person registered with a part P Self Certification Scheme. We would strongly encourage this approach and the use of electricians or installers who are registered with a competent Persons Scheme.
  2. Submit a Building Regulation application to the council. Where this approach is taken, Building Control will respond in one of two ways:
    1. Where an electrician registered with a recognised trade body such as NICEIC, ECA or NAPIT etc, but who is not necessarily registered under a Competent Persons Scheme, tests the work and issues a design, installation and test certificate under BS 7671, in conjunction with Building Control carrying out inspections of the installation, Building Control will accept that the work complies with Part P Approved Document P.
    2. Where work is carried out by an unregistered electrician, or is a DIY installation, the applicant is required to have the work inspected and tested by Building Control. Where it is known that this route will be taken the cost of testing will be included in the charges associated with the application.

Opening up and re-using or building a chimney / fireplace

You need approval to carry out these works. An old masonry chimney may require relining. Guidance with constructional details is available in the Approved Document for Part J. See Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems: Approved Document J