Cost of living and warm spaces


The Government has announced extra support for families to help with cost of living pressures.

Please note: These are government schemes. South Tyneside Council is not responsible for administering this support.

GOV.UK: Cost of living support

Support and advice

Find support and advice including:

See support and advice

Welfare Support Service

The Welfare Support Service is the first point of contact for money advice in South Tyneside.

They provide debt, benefit and money advice on the phone, in your local area or if necessary, in your home.

The service is free, impartial and confidential.

Welfare Support Service

Warm spaces South Tyneside

Warm spaces are free public places where residents can go to get warm, save money on their heating costs, avoid social isolation, and receive support and advice.

A number of organisations and venues have pledged their support to residents this winter. 

To view all the locations in the Borough, see Map of Warm Spaces in South Tyneside.

For more information see:

You can request more information about a warm space by contacting

Household Support Fund

High demand for local welfare provision and crisis support applications

We are currently experiencing a high demand for local welfare provision and crisis applications.

We are working through these applications in date and time order and aim to contact applicants as soon as possible. We appreciate the nature of applications mean these are time sensitive and we are doing our best to speak to people as soon as we can.

If your application is for household items like white goods etc, the processing time for these applications is 30 days.

We apologise but due to the volume of applications we are receiving at this moment, there may be some delay.

We will contact applications by telephone or email as soon as possible.

If it has been over 2 working days since you made your application and you have not been contacted, please contact us.

Please note: Our working days are Monday to Friday.

The Department for Work and Pensions has provided extra funding from 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023.

This funding is to help towards:

  • energy costs
  • water bills
  • food
  • other essential costs

Who is eligible

You may be eligible for extra financial support if you:

  • are struggling financially due to the cost of living crisis
  • have not already received the government's £650 Cost of Living Payment, paid to those in receipt of certain welfare benefits.

There are household income and savings criteria that you will need to meet to be eligible for these awards.

If you meet the criteria for assistance, a single payment of £150 per household will be made.

If you don't meet the eligibility criteria

if you do not meet the criteria for the above support but are struggling to meet your day to day living expenses, you may be eligible for support under our local welfare provision service.

Apply for the Household Support Fund

To apply for help, please submit an application.

Please upload your latest payslip or proof of self-employed earnings to show you are currently employed or working.

Please make sure you have told us about all members of your household on the application form, and details of your household income.

Failure to provide this information may cause delay to your application's processing time.

Support through the Local Welfare Provision Scheme

You may be eligible for support through our Local Welfare Provision Scheme.

Funding for this scheme has been increased using money from the Household Support Fund.

This scheme provides short term financial help if you have a financial crisis or need help with your daily living expenses because you are experiencing exceptional hardship.

You will need to apply for this fund to check if you are eligible.

Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. You will need to provide proof of your circumstances.

Support is provided in the form of vouchers that you can use for food and energy.

Apply for the Local Welfare Provision Scheme

Other support and advice

Money and debt advice

Check if you are entitled to benefits

South Tyneside Council provides:

The government provides other benefits, such as Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Job Seeker's Allowance and low-income benefits, disabilities benefits and benefits for families.

You can use an independent, free benefits calculator to check what you could be entitled to. See GOV.UK: Benefits calculator.

Also see GOV.UK: Benefits


Entitledto is an organisation which works with councils and housing associations to help people claim benefits - it provides an easy to use calculator to help people find out what they are entitled to and go on to make a claim.

Energy and water bills

Crisis support, food and household items

  • Crisis support
    If you have a financial crisis, you may be able to get short-term financial help.
  • Food banks
    Food banks supply food parcels for individuals and families in crisis.
  • Warm spaces South Tyneside
    Public spaces you can go to if you need to get warm, save money on heating costs, avoid social isolation, and receive support and advice.
  • Greggs Foundation Hardship Fund
    Grants may be available from the Greggs Foundation Hardship Fund for white goods / carpets / baby items / clothing and vouchers for food shopping.
  • Eon Next
    A replacement scheme for white goods if they become broken or are in a poor condition.

Jobs and skills support

  • South Tyneside Works
    South Tyneside Works offers a range of over 250 courses to help you get into work, change career path and to improve your skills. Eligible learners will be fully funded and have nothing to pay towards the cost of the course.
  • Employment and training agencies in South Tyneside
    Agencies in South Tyneside to help you get back into work, training, or education, or support you with setting up your own business.
  • Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
    Help and support from the Local Government Pension Scheme during the cost of living crisis.

Health and wellbeing

Support with education

Credit unions

To access low cost loans and secure savings options, see:

Other support

Help with your energy bills

You can get help with your energy bills or to top up your prepayment meter.

You may also be eligible for benefits, grants and help offered by the government and energy suppliers.

GOV.UK: Help with energy bills

Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically

Most households in England, Scotland and Wales get a £400 discount on their energy bills automatically.

In some cases, you do not get the discount automatically, for example if you:

  • pay for energy through a landlord, housing manager or site owner
  • live in a park home, houseboat or off the electricity grid

If you do not get the discount automatically, you can apply for it on the GOV.UK website:

Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically

Help if you use alternative fuels for heating

You may be eligible for a £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) if both the following are true:

  • your household is not connected to the mains gas grid
  • you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating

This is on top of the £400 from your electricity supplier.

You’re eligible for this payment if the main way you heat your home uses:

  • tank or bottled gas
  • liquid petroleum gas (LPG)
  • oil
  • wood
  • solid fuel

For more information, see

GOV.UK: Help if you use alternative fuels for heating